SEND Information

SEND Information Report – September 2019 - Pilton Community College 


Special Educational Needs and Disabilities Information 


Welcome to our Special Educational Needs and Disabilities (SEND) Information Report. Here you will find information about the provision we make for students with SEND at Pilton Community College. 

At Pilton Community College our aim is to ensure that all students reach their full potential. In order to do so we provide a wide range of interventions to endeavour to ensure that students with SEND make progress that is as good as progress made by students without SEND. We believe that students learn best when they are engaged in their learning and that the work should be challenging, regardless of ability. In order to do this we consider that it is important that the student, their parents/carers and the school work in close partnership. If problems arise, we aim to deal with them promptly so that all our students can continue to make good progress. 


What are the admission arrangements for students with SEND? 


Admissions to Pilton Community College for all students, including those with SEND, are managed by Exeter Admissions in line with the National Admissions Code. Pilton is consulted on students who have an EHCP or a physical disability, to ensure their needs can be met in this setting. This enables us to make sure we are planning appropriately to support all our students with SEND and are able to work with young people in advance of them starting with us. The transition arrangements for young people with SEND are described in detail further on in this document. 


What kinds of SEND do we provide for? 


A wide range of Special Educational Needs and Disabilities (SEND) is catered for at Pilton in accordance with our commitment to inclusive education. In addition to this, Pilton Community College is the dedicated Physical Disability Facility for the local area. 

For further information about the Trust’s SEND policy can be found on the Policies page  

We will be happy to provide a paper copy should you wish to have one. 

Also on site is the North Devon Secondary CAIRB (Communication and Interaction Resource Base), which supports a small number of students placed in the base  who have more significant needs associated with a diagnosis of autism  and  others in the local community of schools via outreach services. 


The CAIRB is a Devon County Council provision that is hosted by Pilton Community College. Admission Access to the CAIRB is managed by the Devon 0 – 25 SEND team, not via the College and not via Exeter Admissions.  


The CAIRB website can be found here:  


Who are the SEND support team at Pilton Community College? 

The Head of the SEND and Inclusion Support Department and SENDCo is Ms Suzie Eden. She, along with her Assistant SENDCo, Mrs Janice Nunns, oversee the work of the SEND and Inclusion Support team and manage a  range of provisions which address the four areas of need within the SEND code of practice.  

The support department team includes a Literacy Coordinator, a Numeracy Coordinator, a Physical Disability Coordinator, and Behaviour Support Workers, for children with Communication and Interaction needs, as well as a number of Teaching and Learning Assistants (TLAs),  working with students  on the SEND register in classrooms, in extraction groups for additional learning needs and on specific skills development programmes. 


​The SENDCo, Ms Suzie Eden, can be contacted by email:  or by telephone: 01271 374381 ext 114. 

The Assistant SENDCo, Mrs Janice Nunns, can be contacted by email: or by telephone on 01271 374381 ext 134. 


The Governor with responsibility for SEND can be contacted by email care of: 

The staff have regular access to in-house training via Continued Professional Development sessions, which include Moving and Handling training, Personal Care, Literacy and Numeracy intervention  training and training in understanding and supporting the needs of students with emotional, social, language, communication and interaction needs. 


In addition to dedicated college staff, we access a wide range of external agencies to secure professional advice and practical help for students with SEND needs; these include the Educational Psychology service, Visual, Hearing and Physical Impairment advisors, the Occupational Therapy team and Physiotherapists as well as Speech and Language Advisors. These advisors are contacted by the SENDCo and her team on a regular basis to ensure that students are supported to the best of our ability and to help to improve our knowledge and skills in doing so. 


How do we identify and assess the needs of the students with special education needs? 


There are a number of ways that we identify and assess the needs of students with SEND: 

​1) We speak to all the feeder primary schools, as well as any other schools who are sending students with SEND to us in the year prior to students joining us to establish their needs/disabilities. 

​2) We test all students at the beginning of Yr 7 for reading and spelling to establish Literacy levels, which along with their KS2 SATs help us to decide whether any interventions are needed for Literacy. 

​3) In addition we test all Yr 7s for Numeracy throughout the Autumn term to establish whether they are in the correct group and whether they need additional numeracy intervention. 

​4) During their first term in Yr 7, students who arrive at Pilton Community College, who were on the SEND register at their previous school are monitored by the SEND Support team to ensure that their needs are being met; this might include: 

​Having a key person to ‘check in’ with at the start of the day or other agreed time;. 

  • being provided with small group support; 

  • supported with a Teaching and Learning Support Assistant or, as appropriate, a Behaviour Support Worker in lessons; 

  • placed in a particular seating arrangement in the classroom; or 

  • provided with differentiated strategies and material in the classroom to support their additional needs and learning style. 

5) For students in other years, we encourage staff to use the Devon Graduated Response tools to raise any concerns that they might have about a pupil who is failing to make satisfactory progress, or is causing concern for other reasons. These referrals are looked into and any relevant school based specialist assessments are carried out to inform support and intervention planning. Where appropriate teachers, subject based HLTAs and other staff are given guidance about ways in which they can support the student in their subject area or setting, and specific strategies or interventions to address the student’s needs are implemented.  Where necessary the student is referred for further assessment and advice from other external professionals in order to determine, the best way forward. If we decide that an intervention is necessary or need to involve other professionals, parents/carers will be contacted. 

6) In addition to the above, there are a number of events where parents are encouraged to visit the school to talk with staff about any concerns or information they have regarding their child’s needs. These include Open Evening for prospective students with their parents, Intake Evening for the parents of students in Year 6 who are allocated a place at Pilton Community College, and Year 7 Information Evening for the parents of Year 7 students in the first few weeks of term. 

How is extra support allocated to students? 

If a student is highlighted as having additional or special educational needs or disability by the primary school and therefore already known to the SENDCo or/ Assistant SENDCo ,  they will ensure that the student accesses any provisions or accommodations that they require on transfer; these might include additional literacy and numeracy lessons; setted classes, access to classroom/small group support; or advice,  and guidance and specific support strategies from trained and experienced staff., etc. 

​If a student is not already known to the SENDCo or Assistant SENDCo, but they are failing to make adequate progress, teachers can raise their concerns with the SENDCo or  SEND team as outlined above or with the relevant Heads of Year and they will investigate why this is happening. If an intervention is required to ensure progress is made, parents will be contacted for a discussion about the best route forward. If following initial investigation there isn’t a SEND issue to address then the Head of Year  along with their Year Mentor will consider how best to support the student and  address   any barriers to learning so that progress is made. 

​Most additional support will take place in the classroom with teachers utilising the advice from internal and external specialists to make ‘Reasonable Adjustments’ as necessary and providing students with additional guidance and specific enabling support strategies, as well as differentiated teaching material. On some occasions it is necessary to withdraw students from lessons to implement aspects of an individual support and education plan in order to give them personalised learning opportunities including literacy and numeracy support, study skills support, and/or language, social communication and emotional Literacy and/or social communication skills development programmes and support. 

​It is vital that teachers are provided with up-to-date information about students. The SEND Department provides the staff with information about students  with additional needs or SEND to ensure that they are able to support students to achieve their best results. This information is available to all staff, but is treated with utmost confidentiality. We are happy to share the information we provide to staff to parents, upon request. 


​Literacy Intervention 


In Year 7, we analyse students whose results in their Yr 6 SATS show that they are working below the national average and some are extracted from Modern Foreign Language (MFL) lessons in order to work on the key skills they need to develop. This provision is funded by the government’s “Catch-up Premium”. The SEND Literacy Coordinator runs these sessions. ​ 

Some students in Year 7 with receive additional support for Literacy, if they were just below the national expected standard in reading or grammar, punctuation, vocabulary or spelling; this can take place instead of French lessons, or during AM registration – twice a week.   

​Once students have been extracted from a language lesson,  unless it is only for a very short intervention programme, they will not resume the study of a second language but instead they will receive continued support for their literacy needs during Years 7 and 8. 

​In addition to support in lesson time, some students are able to access literacy support during registration, break and lunchtimes as well as after school. The English Department provides a reading scheme for students who struggle with reading and they work with a “Reading Buddy” in the Library. 


Additional Numeracy Support and Numeracy Interventions 


​Numeracy Support at Pilton Community College is provided via settled classes with additional staff, including the SEND Numeracy Coordinator, and a  Mathematics HLTA, to support students in class or extract them from lessons as and when necessary to ensure continued progress. 

​In Year 7, students who are working at levels in Maths that are too low to enable them to access mainstream Mathematics classes are extracted from these lessons entirely and instead given extra support in small groups, planned and delivered by the SEND Numeracy Coordinator. The teaching in the small groups is closely modelled on the assessment structure and routines of a Mathematics lesson. This is designed to allow a smooth transition into Year 8 mainstream Mathematics. 

​Teaching Staff within the Mathematics department monitor the progress of all students in collaboration with the SEND Numeracy Coordinator and Mathematics HLTA and will extract students who are struggling to achieve the expected level consistently throughout topics. This is not only those who failed to achieve the expected level in their SATS but also to support those students who have achieved the expected level but struggle with numeracy for other reasons. 


​What support is available to help my child’s social and emotional needs? 


​Pilton Community College has a strong and committed pastoral team who look after the emotional well being and social development of all students. However, it is acknowledged that a small minority of students may need enhanced pastoral care and personal skills development arrangements from our specialist staff. 

We recognise that some students find the move from primary school to secondary school particularly challenging and whilst many quickly find their feet, others benefit from a supportive and nurturing environment at the start of their day, during episodes of dis-regulation, and at break and lunchtimes. Throughout the day, vulnerable students are therefore able to seek support appropriate to their individual needs from dedicated and experienced staff who support them, address their concerns and enable them to return to their timetable as soon as they are able.   


Physical therapies 


​For students with physical disabilities, the Physical Disability Coordinator, and the PE Department and the PE HLTA  work closely with physiotherapists to ensure a programme is put in place and carried out during school hours; this is on a highly individual basis. 


​​How do we monitor the interventions that are put in place and how effective are they? 


​The SENDCo regularly meets with the SEND Literacy and Numeracy Coordinator to discuss progress made and the programmes that are being used. Testing is carried out for Literacy on a termly basis to measure progress and discussions about the suitability of provisions are initiated when a student fails to make reasonable progress. The SENDCo keeps a record of each intervention programme and whether it continues to be fit for purpose. In recent years this has meant that several programmes have been replaced or adapted to meet the requirement of the current cohort. 

​The Assistant SENDCo  monitors and provides feedback to the SENDCo on the progress made by students with  CI and SEMH needs who are accessing additional support and intervention in terms of their emotional, social and communication skills development and how that impacts on their attendance, social behaviour, and engagement with learning and extra-curricular opportunities . 


How does the school teach pupils with SEND


​At Pilton Community College we are committed to working as inclusively as possible. This means that, where possible, students remain in the classroom at all times. Teachers, HLTAs and other support staff are given access to the SEN register and the SEN guide which details suggested strategies that can be be used to inform lesson planning, approach and presentation. In addition, information is regularly updated by the SENDCo and Assistant SENDCo using assessment data, observations and parental information. 


​​How are staff supported to teach children with SEND? 


​As part of our basic curriculum offer, all teaching staff teaches in such a way as to meet the needs of the full range of learners in the class. This is something that is monitored in a variety of ways, and all staff have regular training to ensure that they are able to differentiate appropriately. They also make sure that they are aware of the individual needs of each student, using the SEND register and guide to help them where necessary. This is called “Quality First teaching”. 

​Each subject area has a Higher Level Teaching Assistant (HLTA) that the Head of Department can deploy to support teaching. If appropriate,  the SENDCo and Assistant SENDCo  may arrange for a Teaching and Learning Assistant (TLA) from the SEND and Inclusion support department to be assigned to support one or more students in the class. Both subject HLTAs and SEND TLAs  will work closely with classroom teachers to help them differentiate the work or to ensure that students’ needs are being met in other ways. 


​​What support does Pilton Community College offer parents of students with SEND? 


​At Pilton Community College we recognise the importance of working in partnership with parents. Parents are given a single point of contact dependent on the specific area of need being addressed, usually either the SENDCo or Assistant SENDCo. They are encouraged to contact the school by email, phoning or in person and are welcomed to attend a number of events throughout the school year, including parents’ evenings. 

​What do I do if I believe that my child is not making reasonable progress? 

​If a parent expresses a concern that their child is not making reasonable progress, we will investigate the reasons why this might be happening, regardless of the ability level. If they are already receiving SEND support we will talk to parents about their concerns and see if we can resolve the lack of progress. If not, we will put in place our observation and assessment procedures, as well as talk to staff about their targets for students to see if students might need additional support and therefore need to be placed on the SEND register. We are happy to listen to parental concerns and act upon them. 

​There are a number of routes to accessing our support. Should you have concerns or wish to discuss the support available, the people that you can contact are: 


  • your child’s tutor 

  • subject teachers 

  • the Head of Year 

  • the SENDCo 

  • the Assistant SENDCo 

  • the Head teacher 


In the event that you feel that the staff have not acted upon your concerns, there is a complaints procedure which should be followed. Details are available on our website via the following link: 



We will be happy to provide you with a paper copy of this should you wish one. 


​How does Pilton Community College measure the progress of my child? How will I know about this? 


​We continually monitor progress at Pilton Community College, with subject teachers and the Heads of Year Houses providing meaningful data on a regular basis. This includes: 


  • Progress reviews, where formal assessments are carried across the whole curriculum, 3 times a year through formal tests or in-class assessment. 

  • Students’ profiles are issued to parents after each progress point, showing their child’s targets, current working levels and  behaviour for learning for each subject studied. 

  • There are also opportunities to gain information about progress expectations and to discuss your child’s progress at meetings for all parents, most notably Parents’ Evenings later in the year. 

  • The progress of students with an Education Health Care Plan (EHCP) is formally reviewed once a year at an Annual Review to which parents/carers and any other agencies involved with the student are invited along with all adults involved with his or her education. 

  • Our SENDCo will also check that your child is making good progress within any individual work, and in any group that they take part in. 

  • ​ 

How does Pilton Community College support students during transition between Primary School and Secondary School, or moving to a new school or college? 


​Moving from Key Stage 2 (Primary School) to Key Stage 3 (Years 7 – 8 in Pilton Community College) 

​Our Head of Year 7, Mrs Keely Druce , the Deputy Head of Yr 7, Mr Matthew Hunt, and the Assistant Head Teacher responsible for transition and Year 7 will visit all our feeder primary schools during the summer term and meet the students to answer any questions and help them feel more at ease with the transition process. 

  • In respect of students who are highlighted with additional needs or SEND our SENDCo or/ and Assistant SENDCo will attend statutory reviews during the course of Year 6. Team Around the Child meetings and/or transition planning meetings during Year 6 are used to gather information and discuss the transfer arrangements. If appropriate they may also visit and observe students at their primary school who are transferring to our academy. 

  • Once a place at Pilton Community  College is allocated, the student and their parent/carer are invited to visit the SENDCo or Assistant SENDCo for a look around the school campus and to answer any questions about transition and support. At this initial visit, a plan for future additional visits is developed according to the student's individual needs and can be made either on an individual basis or in small groups, and either supported by primary school staff, or made independently. Enhanced transition arrangements and additional visits enable the student to become familiar with the new environment, its systems and structures and to get to know key staff. 

  • The SENDCo or Assistant SENDCo meets the students and their parent/carer on an initial visit, typically after school hours, and then invites students who require additional support to visit the school during the school day, either on an individual basis or in small groups to familiarise them with Pilton Community College and the staff. 

  • Year 6 students will also be invited to one half day and one whole day Taster Session which take place towards the end of the Summer term. This is followed by an evening for parents where any information about their child can be shared with staff at the school. 

  • If your child has and EHC Plan or SEND support at primary school, there will be a transition plan to ensure that their needs are met as soon as they start in Year 7. Children starting with us in Year 7 are assessed during their first half term. We put these assessments together with information from the primary school and any available teacher assessments and observations to ensure: 

  •             The most appropriate support for your child

  •          The most appropriate groupings for your child

  •             Participation in appropriate small group support                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                 Moving from Key Stage 3 (Years 7 – 8) to Key Stage 4 (Years 9 – 11) 

​During the Spring term of Year 8, we hold an Options Evening when parents are invited into school to discuss the various subject options available for their child to study from Year 9 onwards. 

  • We invite students and their parents to a meeting to discuss their choices options along with their tutor, a senior member of staff and, where relevant, a key member of staff from the SEND and Inclusion Department. 

If your child has  an EHC Plan, the  Statutory Annual Review in Year 8 is a Transition Review, when post Year 11 options start to be considered and decisions made about courses of study in Years 9 through to 11. A careers advisor will be present at the Year 9 Transition Review  

In addition, Year 11 is also a Transition Review, where options  for post-Secondary School pathways are considered and decisions made.  ​ 


Moving on from KS4 (Years 9-11) to Post 16 Provision 


  • ​We work closely with Careers South West throughout Key Stage 4 to ensure that students with a statement/EHC Plan or disability have a Transition Plan in place. 

  • The main aim of the plan is to focus on raising aspirations, where necessary, ensuring a wide range of options for students with SEND  and supporting students in going on to achieve the best possible outcomes in further education or employment. 

  • In addition to the Statutory Year 9 Transition Review mentioned above for those who have an EHCP the year 11 Statutory Review is also a Transition Review . At this meeting options previously considered are further discussed, students are supported to develop their understanding of their options, and decisions are made about further education and training. Relevant post-16 education providers are invited to this review to ensure they have a comprehensive understanding of the student’s needs and how the student has been supported. This is necessary to ensure a continued level of support. 

  • We work in close liaison with the selected Post-16 education and training providers to ensure the student has opportunities to make additional visits to them prior to transfer and can be included in any relevant transition activities or programmes they offer 

  • We work closely with Careers South West to ensure that students with a statement/EHC Plan or disability have a Transition Plan in place. 

  • The main aim of the plan is to focus on raising aspirations, where necessary, ensuring a wide range of options for students with SEND and supporting students in going on to achieve the best possible outcomes in further education or employment. 

  • During the Year 11 EHCP  Review students are supported to develop their understanding of the range of post-16 options that may be available to them and we invite representatives from their chosen post-16 establishment to ensure a continued level of support. 

We work in close liaison with the selected Post 16 education and training provider to ensure the student  has opportunity to make additional visits to them prior to transfer and can be included in any relevant transition activities or programmes they offer. 


Transferring to a new school


​If the decision is made for your child to transfer to a new school, we liaise closely with staff at the new school and provide them with all the necessary information about your child, including their student files, so that appropriate arrangements can be made to make the transition from one school to another as smooth as possible. All students and parents/carers (if the student agrees at 16+) are welcome to see their files. 

​What support is offered to disabled students at Pilton Community College? 


Not all students with a disability have special educational needs; however it is important that they have the same access to the Student Support Department provisions Centre and opportunities in the wider school as other students. We are continually working with outside professionals to ensure that our school is accessible for all disabled users, whether students, staff or visitors, and welcome opportunities to discuss any difficulties that may arise. We are aware that not every disabled student has special educational needs, and that not all students with SEN are disabled. We are pro-active at making “Reasonable Adjustments” for disabled students to ensure that they have full and equal access to the building and the wide and varied curriculum. 


Our Accessibility Policy can be viewed here


Please feel free to request a paper copy should you need one. 


As a specialist Physical Disability facility, we consider that all students should have access to the entire school site. In order to facilitate this, regular walks are carried out by staff with students to ensure that access is practicable and convenient. The school layout is relatively simple and predominantly on one level; however for those rooms accessed by stairs there are lifts for students who require them. In order to ensure that these lifts are available for students with disabilities they are issued with a lift key for their use whilst they attend Pilton Community College. Rooms accessed by a lift are the Cruciform Block, the Art Block, the Technology Block, the Library and the Mathematics block. Our programme of extra-curricular activities is accessible for all students. Most equipment used in classrooms is accessible to all students regardless of their needs, and we provide adaptive technology or other equipment for those who need it to access the curriculum. If a student with a disability wishes to attend Pilton Community College we will always do our utmost to make the adjustments to the building, curriculum and resources needed. 


If my child has medical needs, how will they be supported? 


All students with a medical condition will be properly supported to ensure that they have full access to the academy curriculum, including after school clubs, school trips and physical education. We treat each student with a medical need as an individual and in some cases we may offer a personalised timetable or slow reintegration back into school after longer periods of absence. Some students may need a Health Care Plan, which will be drawn up in partnership with parents or carers, healthcare professionals and our SENDCo. Information such as triggers, signs, symptoms and treatments and strategies for managing an emergency will be shared with staff. 


What training do staff have to support students with medical needs? 


Depending on the medical needs of a student, staff may be required to have additional training about a specific medical condition or specific training in administering a particular type of medicine or dealing with emergencies. Recent training for staff has included Types 1 and 2 Diabetes training. 


Who has responsibility for students with medical needs? 


Our First Aider is responsible for students with medical needs and works closely with our School Nurse. The First Aider also holds all the Health Care Plans and information about students’ individual needs. 


Who are the other professionals providing services to students with SEND at Pilton Community College? 


All teaching and support staff at Pilton Community College share a responsibility to ensure that SEND students have the extra support they need in order for them to make good progress and achieve their full potential. Teachers and other staff have access to school based specialist staff from whom they can seek advice about individual students with SEND or particular areas of need. 

Additionally, we work with a number of external agencies to support the students and staff in providing guidance and practical support for SEND students. 




Service Provided 

Currently awaiting the name of the School Nurse 

School Nurse 

General support and advice for students, parents and staff. 

Lian Badcock                

Visual Impairment Advisor        

Support for students with visual impairment 

Charlotte Lynch 

Hearing Impairment Advisor  

Support for students with hearing impairments. 

Chris Wardle                

Educational Psychologist        

Support and guidance for staff, parents and students. 

Julie Lee 


Counselling support for students. 

Various therapists 

Occupational Therapists 

Support for students with co-ordination difficulties. 

Various therapists 


Support for students with physical disabilities. 

​A comprehensive guide to SEND provision in Devon is available at:  



Catch-Up Premium Spending 2017-2018.pdf 


What transport is available to students at Pilton Community College?

Transport for students with significant/complex SEND is organised by Devon County Council. The contact details for SEND transport is:


Jenny Clayton

Matford Offices

County Hall

Topsham Road




Tel 01392 383000

Where can I find a glossary of SEND key terms?


There are a great number of key terms used in SEND education. If you would like help understanding them CLICK HERE

Where can I find a copy of the Pilton Community College SEND and Inclusion policy?

This is available on our school website under “Our World” and “Policies”, or CLICK HERE

We will be happy to provide you with a paper copy should you want one. Please ask at our main Reception if this is the case.


Where can I find information about SEND provision in Devon?


CLICK HERE for a  comprehensive guide to SEND provision in Devon

Respect  * Responsibility *  Resilience * Trust *  Kindness *  Courage

A specialist language college

Pilton Community College, Chaddiford Lane, Barnstaple, Devon  EX31 1RB.  01271 374381  email: